Internet Medieval Sourcebook
Selected Sources: Early Germanic States
Romanized (Christian) Goths
- The Ripuarian Law: Inheritance of Allodial Land, c.
- [Geary 8] Tomb of Childeric, modern archeological report, copyrighted
- [Tierney 11, Geary 11] Gregory of Tours (539-594): On
Clovis and the Vase at Soissons, from History of the Franks, Book II. These are
different selections than in Tierney. Geary has much longer selection from Books II and
IX, from a copyrighted translation, but see next item. See also
Catholic Encyclopedia: The Franks
- The Conversion of Clovis: Two Accounts, 496
by The Chronicle of St. Denis, and Gregory of Tours.
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): The Conversion of
Clovis, from History of the Franks, Book II..
- Fifth Council of Orleans: Concerning Freedmen, 549
- Gregory of Tours: Enslaving Noble Families, 511
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): Church Exemption from
Taxation, c. 570
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): Exemption of Tours from
Poll Tax, c. 585
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): Exemption of the Church in
Clermont from Royal Taxes, c. 590
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): History of the Franks,
Complete text of Earnest Brehaut's 1916 abridged translation.
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): Harsh Treatment of Serfs
and Slaves, c. 575
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): Opposition to Royal
Taxation, c. 575-580
- [Geary 10] Remigius of Reims and Avitus: Letters to Clovis, copyrighted
- Gregory of Tours (539-594): Life of St. Gall,
from Lives of the Fathers, (539-594).
- [Tierney 14, Geary 9] Law of the Salian Franks
- Dado of Rouen: The Life of Eligius , 588-660 CE, trans,
Jo Ann McNamara.
- St. Eligius: Redemption of Slaves, c. 630
- Tolls on the Rhône, c. 630
- Dagobert, King of the Franks: Grant of an Estate to
Monks of St. Denis, 635
NOTES: copyrighted means the text is not available for free distribution. In
some cases alternate versions are available, and are working through the pipeline. Dates of accession of material can be seen in the New Accessions Page. The date of inception was 1/20/1996. Links to files at other site are indicated by [At some indication of the site name or
location]. No indication means that the text file is local. WEB indicates a link to one of small
number of high quality web sites which provide either more texts or an especially valuable
The Internet Medieval Sourcebook participates in
ORB, the Online Reference Book for
created 1996: last revised 3/21/2007