Otto the Great, King of Germany:
Grant of a Market to the Monastery of Lorsch, 956
A market was a local, as distinct from a foreign, place of trade. It was held once a
week as a rule. Its primary function was an exchange of commodities between town and
March fifth. King Otto permits the monastery at Lorsch, in which there is a place
called Bensheim belonging to him, to erect a market.... "At the intervention of our
beloved wife Adelheid we grant to the venerable abbot Gerbodo of the holy church at Lorsch
that public markets should be created on a certain villa of the convent which is called
Bensheim, for the use of the brothers serving God there."
From: H. Gengler, Codex Juris Municipalis Germaniae, (Erlangen: F. Enke, 1867),
p. 179, reprinted in Roy C. Cave & Herbert H. Coulson, A Source Book for Medieval
Economic History, (Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Co., 1936; reprint ed., New York:
Biblo & Tannen, 1965), p. 115.
Scanned by Jerome S. Arkenberg, Cal. State Fullerton. The text has been modernized by
This text is part of the Internet
Medieval Source Book. The Sourcebook is a collection of public domain and
copy-permitted texts related to medieval and Byzantine history.
Unless otherwise indicated the specific electronic form of the document is
copyright.Permission is granted for electronic copying, distribution in print form for
educational purposes and personal use. If you do reduplicate the document, indicate the
source. No permission is granted for commercial use.
© Paul Halsall, September 1998