The Pierpont Morgan Library is a collection of books, drawings, paintings, prints, and
manuscripts that Pierpont Morgan (1837-1913) collected during his lifetime. He was a
talented financier whose interest in the Middle Ages and Renaissance left an impact
for later generations. His collection was begun in 1880. By 1906, Charles McKim designed a
building to house the Morgan collection, but it was not until J.P. Morgan Jr. that the
library became open to the public.
Today, the library is located in the Murray Hill section of New York, and is considered
a national historic landmark. There, scholars, students, as well as those with an
appreciation for the arts, can enjoy the value of the ensemble.
Details for Visitors
Location : 33 East 36 Street
New York, NY 10016
Phone : (212) 685-0610
Hours : Sunday 1pm-5pm
Adams, Frederick B., An Introduction to the Pierpont Morgan Library, (New
York: The Pierpont Morgan Library, 1964).
Ryskamp, Charles, Nineteenth Report to the Fellows of the Pierpont Morgan Library
1978-1980, (New York: The Pierpont Morgan Library, 198 1).
Ryskamp, Charles, Twentieth Report to the Fellows of the Pierpont Morgan Library
1981-1983, (New York: The Pierpont Morgan Library, 1984).