|The history of the Sanctuary of Our
Lady of Mount Carmel which is located on 115th Street in New York is closely
associated with the immigration of Italians to America.
Italian immigrants established themselves in the lower part of the East side of Manhattan. Areas such as the famous Mulberry Street and Canal Street came to be known as the Little Italies. The third Little Italy was, of course, East Harlem.
Typical of all these Little Italies was the celebration of the popular feasts to which were reminiscences of their homes in their native lands. The feast of Our Lady Of Mount Carmel was first held in 1881. This feast enlivened the desire to have a church dedicated to the fulfillment of religious duties and to venerate the Blessed Mother. This church would be built by the Italians, and was to be called the parish of the Italians in New York.