St. Bartholomew's Church
INTRODUCTION -Three Churches:
- The first church, built in 1835 was located at Great Jones and
Lafayette Place. The east wall of that church is still standing having
been incorporated into another structure. It cost $33,000.
- The second church was located at Madison Ave. and 44th street.
It was completed in 1872. It was vacated because the foundation and roof
had become structurally unsound.
- The present church was designed by Bertram Grovenor Goodhue
- St. Bartholomew's Church is on the site owned by the Schaefer Brewing
Company. Although it opened in 1918 and consecrated in 1923, the dome and much of the interior decoration,
including mosaics, were not added until
Medieval New York | St. Bart's Main Page | Dome | Interior | Mosaics