Manors of the Abbey of St. Peter, Winchester, 1086
County of Hants. Manor of Micheldever.
The same Abbey holds Miceldevre (Micheldever) in demesne. In King Edward's time it was
assessed at a hundred and six hides. It is now assessed at eighty-five hides and half a
yardland. Here are seventy-two ploughlands; nine in demesne. Sixty-four villeins and
twenty-eight cottagers have twenty-five ploughlands. There are twenty-two serfs; a mill,
which yields thirty pence; thirty acres of meadow; and woods for four hogs. Of the land of
this manor, HUGH DE PORT holds of the abbot twenty-two and a half hides and a yardland.
Three hides and three yardlands are of the demesne lands. In King Edward's time, four
freemen held, as four manors, Cranbourne, Drayton, Stratton, and East Popham, and could
not remove, without loss of the land, according to the witness of the Jury of the Hundred.
There are six and a half ploughlands in demesne. Six villeins and twelve cottagers have a
ploughland and a half. There are seven serfs, and twentyfour acres of meadow. Of the land
of this manor, HERBERT, the Chamberlain, holds seven hides. Three freemen held them in
King Edward's time. ODO, Steward of the Household, holds five hides of the demesne land;
and WALERAN, the huntsman, holds four hides and a half of the same.
Here are six ploughlands in demesne. Nine villeins and nine cottagers have four
ploughlands. There are two serfs, and five acres of meadow. ALSI holds of this land six
hides, and his father held it. AELDRED, brother of ODO, holds a hide and a half. His wife
held it for her portion in King Edward's time. SIWARD, the huntsman, holds two hides, and
he held it in King Edward's time. Here are (also) six ploughlands and a half in demesne;
and five.villeins and two cottagers have a ploughland and a half; with nineteen serfs and
seven acres of meadow.
The value of the whole manor was in King Edward's time sixty pounds; and when it came
into possession forty pounds. The abbot's demesne is now worth fifty-seven pounds. HUGH DE
PORT's holding is worth nineteen pounds; HERBERT's hundred shillings; ODO's fifty
shillings; WALERAN's sixty shillings; ALSI's a hundred shillings; AELDRED's thirty
shillings; and SIWARD's twenty shillings. Elsewhere ALSI holds a hide of the demesne lands
of this manor; and there are there four villeins, who pay seven shillings.
County of Wilts. Manor of Manningford Abbots.
THE CHURCH OF ST. PETER, WINCHESTER, holds Manneforde (now Manningford Abbots). It was
rated in King Edward's time at ten hides. Here are ten ploughlands. Of this land five
hides and a half a yardland are in demesne, and there are there two ploughs and five
serfs. Eight villeins and seven cottagers have two ploughlands and a half. The mill yields
twelve shillings and sixpence. Here are ten acres of meadow. The pasture is half a mile
long and a furlong broad. It was valued at six pounds; now at eight pounds.
County of Wilts. Manor of Pewsey.
The same church holds Pevesei (now Pewsey). In King Edward's time it was rated at
thirty hides. Here are twenty-four ploughlands. Of this land, six hides and a yardland are
in demesne, and there are there three ploughs and six serfs. Forty-six villeins,
twenty-four cottagers and one borderer have eighteen ploughlands. Seven mills yield four
pounds and five shillings. There are fifteen acres of meadow. The pasture is a mile and a
half long, and equally broad. The wood is three furlongs long, and half a furlong broad.
Of this land, a thane holds two hides, wanting one yardland; and could not be removed from
the church. And ERNULFUS DE HESDING holds from the king two hides which the Abbot gave, in
King Edward's time, to a thane, who could not be removed. It is worth twenty shillings.
The abbot's demesne was worth twenty-six pounds. It is now worth twenty-eight pounds.
From: Domesday Book, translation from Liber Monasterii de Hyda, Edward
Edwards, trans., (London: Longmans, Green, Reader, & Dyer, 1866), pp. cii-iii, cviii,
cix, reprinted in Roy C. Cave & Hebert H. Coulson, eds., A Source Book for Medieval
Economic History, (Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Co., 1936; reprint ed., New York:
Biblo & Tannen, 1965), pp. 48-50.
Scanned by Jerome S. Arkenberg, Cal. State Fullerton. The text has been modernized by
This text is part of the Internet
Medieval Source Book. The Sourcebook is a collection of public domain and
copy-permitted texts related to medieval and Byzantine history.
Unless otherwise indicated the specific electronic form of the document is copyright.
Permission is granted for electronic copying, distribution in print form for educational
purposes and personal use. If you do reduplicate the document, indicate the source. No
permission is granted for commercial use.
© Paul Halsall, September 1998