Fordham


IHSP


MainAncientMedievalModern


Subsidiary SourcebooksAfricanEastern AsianGlobalIndianJewishIslamicLesbian/GayScienceWomen


Special ResourcesByzantiumMedieval MusicSaints' Lives
Ancient Law
Medieval Law
Film: Ancient
Film: Medieval
Film: Modern


About IHSPIHSP Credits

Judson Memorial Church
Architecture


Judson Memorial Church is the largest church built in New York during what is known as the American Renaissance, a period of time that saw a flowering of classically-inspired architecture in the major cities of the United States. The architects of McKim, Mead and White characterized their Italianate, or Renaissance revival, design as "Romanesque, strongly influenced by an early basilica" (Sloan 300-309). Stanford White’s final design incorporated many aspects of Romanesque and early Italian Renaissance styles.

kramer13.gif (91563 bytes)

From A Monograph of the Works of McKim, Mead and White, 1879-1915. Paul Gallagher, intro. De Capo Press, New York: 1985. Stanford White’s design of the main entrance to Judson Memorial Church, one of four churches in his career.

 

kramer6.jpg (57498 bytes)

Italianate

The mid-Victorian era in the United States witnessed the first community attempt at urban renewal. Until the late 1870’s, American cities were nondescript, wooden collections without age or dignity. The American Renaissance refers to a dependence on art and architectural styles, especially that characteristic of the Italian countryside, at the end of the nineteenth century. Our cities today are filled with classical structures that have lasted many generations. Stanford White was famous for alluding to Romanesque and early Renaissance architecture in his structures. Illustrated in Judson Memorial is the ability of the Renaissance style to mask the complexity of the structure and its unified design. Built to be compact and square, the Church maintains a completely uniform exterior inspired by the quattocento churches of Florence (Roth 157), a city known for its intentionally compact buildings.

The hood over the entrance to Judson Memorial Church is said to be inspired by a Renaissance Italian church, San Alessandro, built in Lucca in 1480. The crisp movements and detail work suggest Renaissance sculptors.

Overall, the exterior and shape of Judson Memorial is said to resemble Santa Maria, a basilica in Cosmedin, Rome (Roth, 157). Different elements of the church are borrowed from a variety of structures dating from the fifth to the fifteenth century in the area surrounding Rome. Judson’s light exterior and subtle detailing is characteristic of Romanesque architecture. Stanford White prided his work to maintain a serene complete aesthetic look, since art of the early Renaissance exemplifies clean lines and avoidance of over-ornamentation. While Judson Memorial Church clearly illustrates the artistry of the American Renaissance, few American churches in the mid-Victorian era revived Italian styles and the Gothic style prevailed.

kramer7.jpg (32301 bytes)

The Interior

The Church itself is a rectangular, auditorium-like room. Aspects of it’s appearance cannot be considered very Medieval in nature. Besides a modern kitchenette in the northeast corner, the congregation’s contemporary arts programming is responsible for very modern stage lighting along the walls and ceiling. Theatrical light fixtures, including a large brass chandelier, point toward the baptistery and the large rose window nestled in the arch forming the south wall. Four arches crest along the length of the east and west interior walls. One main arch accent both the south wall and the facade wall. Romanesque-style columns support the arches below a slightly vaulted ceiling. Judson’s interior is light and bare, with minimal ornamentation and no permanent seating.

White designed four arches along both the east and west walls which house five oblong stained glass windows. Rows of gold flower bursts line the underside of all the arches supported by Romanesque columns. The window is this location is currently being restored.

kramer8.jpg (26075 bytes) kramer5.jpg (37265 bytes)

Ten carved columns topped with an intricately-carved Romanesque design line the perimeter of the church.

 

Saint-Gaudens’ Baptistery

The marble baptistery is certainly the focal point of the church’s interior. Raised like a small stage in the south wall, the marble walls are highlighted by a relief sculpture designed by White’s close friend and famous American Renaissance sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens and carved by Herbert Adams. The sculpture received a $5,000 donation to Judson’s building and memorializes Joseph Blachley Hoyt, who sold belts and shoes. Saint-Gaudens’ design of angels further illustrates classically-influenced Italianate style.

kramer10.jpg (50148 bytes)

 

Medieval NewYorkJudson Main | History | Architecture  | Windows | Bibliography



The Internet History Sourcebooks Project is located at the History Department of  Fordham University, New York. The Internet Medieval Sourcebook, and other medieval components of the project, are located at the Fordham University Center for Medieval Studies.The IHSP recognizes the contribution of Fordham University, the Fordham University History Department, and the Fordham Center for Medieval Studies in providing web space and server support for the project. The IHSP is a project independent of Fordham University.  Although the IHSP seeks to follow all applicable copyright law, Fordham University is not the institutional owner, and is not liable as the result of any legal action.

© Site Concept and Design: Paul Halsall created 26 Jan 1996: latest revision 2 January 2020 [CV]