Fordham


IHSP


MainAncientMedievalModern


Subsidiary SourcebooksAfricanEastern AsianGlobalIndianJewishIslamicLesbian/GayScienceWomen


Special ResourcesByzantiumMedieval MusicSaints' Lives
Ancient Law
Medieval Law
Film: Ancient
Film: Medieval
Film: Modern


About IHSPIHSP Credits

Medieval Sourcebook:
James I of Aragon:
Improvement of Harbor Facilities in Barcelona, 1243


King James made an effort to improve the shipping facilities of Barcelona and to protect the interests of the seafaring men.

James, by the grace of God, King of Aragon, Majorca, and Valencia, Count of Barcelona and Urgell, and Lord of Montpellier. Be it known to all that because the citizens of Barcelona do daily improve, by God's grace, by reason of their activity in shipping, we have desired to increase their wealth and to improve the town for our benefit.

Therefore we have decreed, granted, and firmly ordained that for the future, from Arazana in the west as far as the new building which Bernard Olzeto has made in the east, and from the sea itself as far as the houses which are constructed of rock or limestone, no one shall dare to construct houses, residences, workshops, shops, or any other kind of building, big or little, nor shall any one have his place or court there; but the whole part is set aside for common use for making, placing, and maintaining ships and other small boats there. Nor shall any one on account of any acquisition made, or to be made, by us or ours, or on account of long standing use, have within the said place a shop, house, or other building, or any place or court of his own. And if any house or shop or other building should be made within the confines of that area, we wish and grant that without petition to us, such buildings may be destroyed and utterly demolished without any penalty, civil or criminal, so that no one may continue to reside there at all.

Done at Barcelona on the ninth of September, in the year of the Lord 1243. Seals, etc.


Source.

From: A. de Capmany, ed., Memorias Sobre la Marina, Comercio, y Artes de la Antigua Ciudad de Barcelona, (Madrid, 1779-92), Vol. II, p. 18; reprinted in Roy C. Cave & Herbert H. Coulson, eds., A Source Book for Medieval Economic History, (Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Co., 1936; reprint ed., New York: Biblo & Tannen, 1965), pp. 158-159.

Scanned by Jerome S. Arkenberg, Cal. State Fullerton. The text has been modernized by Prof. Arkenberg.


This text is part of the Internet Medieval Source Book. The Sourcebook is a collection of public domain and copy-permitted texts related to medieval and Byzantine history.

Unless otherwise indicated the specific electronic form of the document is copyright. Permission is granted for electronic copying, distribution in print form for educational purposes and personal use. If you do reduplicate the document, indicate the source. No permission is granted for commercial use.

© Paul Halsall, October 1998
halsall@murray.fordham.edu

 



The Internet History Sourcebooks Project is located at the History Department of  Fordham University, New York. The Internet Medieval Sourcebook, and other medieval components of the project, are located at the Fordham University Center for Medieval Studies.The IHSP recognizes the contribution of Fordham University, the Fordham University History Department, and the Fordham Center for Medieval Studies in providing web space and server support for the project. The IHSP is a project independent of Fordham University.  Although the IHSP seeks to follow all applicable copyright law, Fordham University is not the institutional owner, and is not liable as the result of any legal action.

© Site Concept and Design: Paul Halsall created 26 Jan 1996: latest revision 2 January 2020 [CV]