Fordham


IHSP


MainAncientMedievalModern


Subsidiary SourcebooksAfricanEastern AsianGlobalIndianJewishIslamicLesbian/GayScienceWomen


Special ResourcesByzantiumMedieval MusicSaints' Lives
Ancient Law
Medieval Law
Film: Ancient
Film: Medieval
Film: Modern


About IHSPIHSP Credits

Medieval Sourcebook:
Louis the Pious:
Two Grants of Extraction of Salt, 821-833


Capitulary of Diedenhofen (Thionville), 821.

C.8. Concerning the land on the seashore, where they make salt, we wish that some of them come to our court so that their case may be heard, and then we shall decide equitably between them.

Grant of Salt Springs to Abbey of Nieuw Corvey, 833.

In the name of our Lord God and Saviour, Jesus Christ, Louis, by the grace of Divine Providence, Emperor Augustus.... We wish it to be known to all our people, both present and future, that . . . we have founded . . . a monastery in Saxony, in honor of St. Stephen, the first martyr for Christ, and have given it the name of New Corvey.... Warenne, whom we have made abbot of thasame monastery, has sought to put in mind of our highness that we should have provided in the Duchy of Saxony a place where salt might be obtained for seasoning and salting the food of the monks dwelling for all time in that monastery. Moreover he said that we had promised what salt there was, as much as it was in our power, in the county of Logi, in the Duchy of Budinisvelt, which is beyond the Weser. Therefore we have decreed that there shall remain under the authority of that monastery as much right as we appear to have in that salt, just as we said, for securing what is necessary for the servants of God dwelling in that monastery. And that this grant may remain secure we have ordered it to be sealed below with our seal.


Source.

From: J. P. Migne, ed., Patrologiae Cursus Completus, Vol. XCVII, p. 445 (Paris, 1862); N. Schaten, S.J., ed., Annales Paderbornenses, Vol. I, p. 92 ( Neuhaus, 1693); both reprinted in Roy C. Cave & Hebert H. Coulson, eds., A Source Book for Medieval Economic History, (Milwaukee: The Bruce Publishing Co., 1936; reprint ed., New York: Biblo & Tannen, 1965), pp. 76-77.

Scanned by Jerome S. Arkenberg, Cal. State Fullerton. The text has been modernized by Prof. Arkenberg.


This text is part of the Internet Medieval Source Book. The Sourcebook is a collection of public domain and copy-permitted texts related to medieval and Byzantine history.

Unless otherwise indicated the specific electronic form of the document is copyright. Permission is granted for electronic copying, distribution in print form for educational purposes and personal use. If you do reduplicate the document, indicate the source. No permission is granted for commercial use.

© Paul Halsall, September 1998
halsall@murray.fordham.edu

 



The Internet History Sourcebooks Project is located at the History Department of  Fordham University, New York. The Internet Medieval Sourcebook, and other medieval components of the project, are located at the Fordham University Center for Medieval Studies.The IHSP recognizes the contribution of Fordham University, the Fordham University History Department, and the Fordham Center for Medieval Studies in providing web space and server support for the project. The IHSP is a project independent of Fordham University.  Although the IHSP seeks to follow all applicable copyright law, Fordham University is not the institutional owner, and is not liable as the result of any legal action.

© Site Concept and Design: Paul Halsall created 26 Jan 1996: latest revision 2 January 2020 [CV]